"I'm on the top as long as the music's loud."

Thanks

Re: What song you listening to?

P.O.D. - "Thinking About Forever"

Itch

Sting Sacred Love

**This is not my review . . . I agree with it though**

Sting.(Reflective Pause) What can we write about Sting that hasn?t already been written? You all know his history, founder of one of the biggest rock bands in history, the Police, and left them to pursue his immensely successful solo career in order to explore, experiment and integrate all forms of music into his own eclectic mix of albums and hugely successful songs.

Gordon Sumner?s singing and writing style have won him many accolades and recognition from his contemporaries and most important from his fans worldwide. He isn?t afraid to wander off into unknown musical waters and somehow fuse the influences into his own creations. A perfect example of this is Desert Rose, in his previous LP, where he introduced an oriental song in pop sensibility, especially made effective by the guest singer Cheb Mami whose Arabic singing style made Desert Rose all the more spectacular and authentic. Sting follows on with this winning formula by including not only worldbeat influences into his new LP, but also by experimenting with electronic beats and techno sensibilities in order to try to woo in a newer generation of listeners. Although an immensely solid piece of work, Sacred Love, which includes many influences, feels like Sting is running from one place to another, from the rock influenced This War via the techno-flamenco-oriental Send Your Love to a typical Sting-style song in Sacred Love. Not that this is bad in any way, in fact it shows that Sting, although already a living musical legend, is to this day always prepared to step away from his comfort zone, but this approach gives the impression of a certain lack of focus. Nevertheless, this is Sting we are talking about, therefore Sacred Love delivers a very listenable and varied collection of songs, all performed outstandingly and all have an air of intellectual craftsmanship. When one song lacks focus usually the following picks up in style and class making up for the shortcomings.

Probably encouraged by Desert Rose, I guess I should also mention that there are three guest appearances in this LP, namely by Vicente Amigo, Mary J. Blige and Anoushka Shankar, of which I shall give a wider description in my traditional song breakdown below. Isn?t it exciting?

So, the moment you?ve all been waiting for, where I describe the songs to the best of my ability so that one would get an audio impression without listening to the songs themselves. Here it is: [insert drum role clip]

1. Inside - A slight orchestra build up, featuring acoustic guitar, a sitar-like instrument, and stringed background introduces us into Sting?s with bare sounding tight drum and bass background and an acoustic guitar in the foreground playing chords string by string. This pattern builds as strings and synthesizers are layered in the bridge during the bridge that lead to a full crescendo of a violin orchestra in the chorus section. The vocals are typical of Sting with what I call linear singing, akin to the verse in if I ever lose my faith in you while the orchestration at times is reminiscent of mad about you.

2. Send your Love(Featuring Vicente Amigo) - Starting off with a flamenco guitar introduction, a very frenzied and masterfully performed small piece by Vincente Amigo, yet it seems out of place as Sting starts of with very dark sounding vocals leading the melody as he is only supported by an electronic rhythm featuring mainly high-hat and bass. Each chorus features an oriental sounding phrase which is transposed through verse in the latter part of the song. The rhythm is mainly dance/disco oriented while we only get a hint of the flamenco guitar in the remaining parts of the song. This song is probably directed at the younger generation as it is it has a very modern beat, but some how it doesn?t suit Sting?s style. Apart from the fact that the guest Vincente Amigo shows off his flare in the intro it seems that there is some injustice in not allowing him to have a spotlight in the body of the song too, after all he is credited as a guest star. Although this song has been released as a single I believe it is one of the weaker ones and should really be regarded as an experiment rather than a complete song.

3. Whenever I Say your Name (Featuring Mary J. Blige) - A rhythmic song that starts off with Sting?s sultry vocals who is accompanied by Mary J. Blige. The mood shifts from low key via vocal interchanges between the two singers to slowly build up, accompanied by the backing music, again to reach a crescendo in the chorus. Although Sting is not the best of singers he holds his own to the excellent vocal performance of the soulful Mary J. Blige, especially with his excellent high notes as opposed to the bluesy and gospel like delivery by Ms. Blige. Meanwhile back to the song, the last part of it turns into a funky little number where both singers interact with each other?s styles. **In my opinion, one of Stings 5 best songs!!**

4. Dead Man?s Rope Finally a typical melancholic low key song as we are used to hearing from Sting. Yet again, a the so-called linear signing style take centre stage in this forlorn and uninspiring song.

5. Never Coming Home An electronic beat starts and then pauses in order to allow Sting to deliver his vocal melody line. This again is mainly an electro-pop song with Sting vocals and in my view is surprisingly a much more successful attempt than Send your Love, as it has melody and some typical Sting signatures. **A Masterfully written song**

6. Stolen Car A low-key melancholic, typical Sting with sytnhesizer and a slight electronic background beat which becomes more audible in the second part of the verse. The chorus is a wonderful melodious tune and typical of sing represents the crescendo featuring interlaced vocals with the main melody line sung by Sting and vague background vocals repeat certain parts in an unhurried fashion.

7. Forget About the Future A slow jazz/blues influenced song number. It?s nice to see Sting deliver such a moody little number with a nice pop-jazzy feel to it and is a nice turn from all those disco-focused songs. The drum rhythm is predominantly electronic sounding however but the rest of the instruments are natural sounding especially the clean guitar sound. A nice touch in about 3/4 of song is when a section of the song suddenly transforms into a vintage record sounding with trumpets and trombones along with the scratches and noise emulating a vintage turntable. The song returns to full clarity along with a trumpet and trombone section which recurs until the end of the song. Hardly without a stop comes the next song

8. This War A drum fill leads us directly into a hard rocking number (ok if its not heavy enough for you a rock number). As it is in the same key as the song preceding, it almost feels like a more solid and rocking continuation. As a predominant rock fan myself I must say that I was surprised by this infectious song, my only qualm could be perhaps that the distortion is not concise enough and fells like it been played through via an inadequately setup amp.

9. The Book of Life (Featuring Anoushka Shankar) - Almost 180 degree turn in musical styles with this oriental/Indian background. A wonderful slow song featuring the instrumentation by Ravi Shankar?s daughter which gives freshness especially by the Sitars and other oriental instruments.

10. Sacred Love Finally we arrive at perhaps the best song of the Album. It is vintage Sting at his vintage best. Regardless of some shortcoming in this album this song makes up for them with nuances of orchestration, variety of instruments, integrated oriental musical influences along with a rock, pop and at times funky sensibility. There?s an immensity which must be explored in this song that will require more than just several listens, the catchy chorus and excellent arrangement help a lot in the process of course.

There that wasn?t so hard was it? I wouldn?t go as far as saying that Sacred Love surpasses Brand New Day, nor would I dare in any way or form say that it is anywhere near the legendary Dream of the Blue Turtles or Ten Summoner?s Tales but it does stand on its own merit especially with several exceptional songs that compensate for a few experimentations in the dance category.

Itch

Sting - Ten Summoner's Tales

Perhaps one of Stings best CD's ever! Frankly put, I cannot think of a better "wordsmith" than Sting! Below are the lyrics to my favorite song on this cd!

"Seven Days"

"Seven Days" was all she wrote
    A kind of ultimatum note
    She gave to me, she gave to me
    When I thought the field had cleared
    It seems another suit appeared
    To challenge me, woe is me
    Though I hate to make a choice
    My options are decreasing mostly rapidly
    Well we'll see
    I don't think she'd bluff this time
    I really have to make her mine
    It's plain to see
    It's him or me

Monday, I could wait till Tuesday
    If I make up my mind
    Wednesday would be fine, Thursday's on my mind
    Friday'd give me time, Saturday could wait
    But Sunday'd be too late

The fact that he's six feet ten
    Might instill fear in other men
    But not in me, The Mighty Flea (flee?)
    Ask if I am mouse or man
    The mirror squeaked, away I ran
    He'll murder me in time for his tea
    Does it bother me at all
    My rival is Neanderthal, it makes me think
    Perhaps I need a drink
    IQ is no problem here
    We won't be playing Scrabble for her hand I fear
    I need that beer

If I make up my mind
    But Sunday'd be too late

Seven days will quickly go
    The fact remains, I love her so
    Seven days, so many ways
    But I can't run away

If I make up my mind
    But Sunday'd be too late
    Do I have to tell a story
    Of a thousand rainy days since we first met
    It's a big enough umbrella
    But it's always me that ends up getting wet

Retired Staff Member
    Thanks

Pearl Jam - Jeremy
    NON-VIOLENCE NEVER SOLVED ANYTHING
    http://urban-coyote.tumblr.com/
    http://www.thedees.co.uk/

I'M NOT AROUND MUCH THESE DAYS. PLEASE EITHER BE PATIENT OR CONTACT 1BAD49ERFAN. THANKS
    http://hl.onlinestuffs.com/uploads/originals/pw/g4/c1/5x.jpg

Thanks

Thin Lizzy-Chinatown

Retired Staff Member
    Thanks

Staind "For You"

Thanks

Disturbed - "Prayer"

Retired Staff Member
    Thanks

Cold "Same Drug"

Itch

Van Halen - "Women and Children First"

The second song called Everyone wants some says it better than I could!! If you've been on this site for more than a day, you'll know that this phrase fits me to a tee!!!

I like the way the line runs up the back of the stockings.
    Ive always liked those kind of high heels too. you know, i...
    No no no no, dont take em off, dont take... leave em on, leave em on.
    Yeah, thats it, a little more to the right, a little more....
    Evrybody wants some.
    I want some too.
    **and if you turn up the volumn at the end you'll here Dave sing**
    Look I'll pay ya' for them! What the fuck

**Not my review but Itch agrees!!**

In 1979, Hard Rock party band, Van Halen had released their second album, Van Halen II, and the band had gained some notoriety with a top 20 single named Dance the Night Away. So on the heels of a successful single, and now with the release of Women and Children First 1979, the band were headlining their first tour to support this album. Women and Children First had reached #6 in the US Billboard Pop Album Charts, and Van Halen were now a Top 10 act. After this tour, Van Halen in the charts and the buzz of the great show the band puts on, the path was clear for VH to claim the title for the best American rock band, which they would just maybe two years later with their 1982 release Diver Down.

And the Cradle Will Rock... opens the album with it's Big Rock swagger and classic title that assures the fans that Van Halen is back with the same formula, yet with a bigger and more confident sound than their previous album Van Halen II (1979), and it also points to the direction of their next album, Fair Warning (1981). Cradle was released as a single and had reached #55 in the US pop singles charts.
    Everybody Wants Some, another classic title starts off with jungle drums from Alex, and monkey sounds from Roth. David and Eddie give each other room to spread their wings to do their thing during the verses. After David would sing a line of the verse over bass and drums, Eddie would bookend it with a dive-bomb or some incidental fretwork.

Some bluesy clean electric guitar work and vocalizing start off Fools which then breaks off into a quick yet sizzling guitar solo from Eddie. When the song really begins with its bluesy groove, it reminds one of ZZ Top's songs, maybe Cheap Sunglasses. This song is the longest on the album, just about reaching six minutes in length.
    Romeo's Delight, like all the songs so far, give David Lee Roth some ample room to get his Diamond Dave persona across during the verses. It's great that the songs from Van Halen's catalogue could give Diamond Dave the space to shine, but at the same time Eddie Van Halen emerges as the guitar god that squelches all other attempts in comparison.

Tora! Tora! lasts under a minute long, and the first 25 seconds sound like backwards guitar noises that when played forward sound like an engine revving. The last 30 seconds is used only as an intro to Loss of Control. This is one of the fastest and oddball songs that Van Halen has recorded, and I love it. I do not hear the drawbacks that most fans and listeners complain about. The very things that they dislike, I find quite enjoyable. Such as the fact that there's only one verse in the song and they play it over and over, the chorus has David Lee Roth and bass player Michael Anthony sing ♫Loss of control, loss of control, loss of control♫ almost in a comical way, where Michael Anthony sings the harmony over Dave in a very high falsetto that I guess some people would find annoying.

Eddie introduces Take Your Whiskey Home with some great blues from an acoustic guitar, and David Lee Roth scatting along which has become common place on this LP. When the band jump in and the volume gets turned way up, it remains one of the best tracks VH had put to plastic.

Could This Be Magic? picks up right from where Whiskey left off. The song is made up of what sounds like at least two or three acoustic guitars and a lead vocal resembles something like Ray J. Johnson would lay down and the chorus sounds like a drunken sing-along which includes a female, the late Nicolette Larson, which just added to the song's authenticity.

In a Simple Rhyme sounds like it could have fit easily on their 1984 release 1984. The song makes a great closer to a perfect album. The music is loud, Dave's melody lines are wonderful, and Michael Anthony's bass even gets a moment to shine, not to mention the great harmonies from Michael, Dave and Eddie during the chorus and the lullaby section in the middle. After the song fades, the drums start up a quick instrumental that lasts only about fifteen seconds, supposedly the hidden track is named Growth. Eddie once said that the song was to be continued on their next album Fair Warning, but it never continued or completed as far as I know.

Despite the album only having nine songs, the length crosses the half-hour mark at 33:37 minutes long (according to Windows Media Player), which is sort of average for the late 70s. The album has a much harder edge than their 1979 release Van Halen II, which had a few songs that were very commercial including the single. Their next album, Fair Warning gets even heavier and remains the favorite among many VH fans, but Women and Children first is better in my opinion. I like the bluesy continuity that's present in almost all the songs, while they still maintain their hard rock party-like attitude thanks to David's attitude and those addicting melody lines.

The Songs

1. And The Cradle Will Rock...
    2. Everybody Wants Some!!
    3. Fools
    4. Romeo Delight
    5. Tora! Tora!
    6. Loss of Control
    7. Take Your Whiskey Home
    8. Could This Be Magic?
    9. In a Simple Rhyme

Page 13 of 230 FirstFirst ... 311121314152363113 ... LastLast

Thread Information