Thread: Concerts - festivals

Thanks
    Thanked 1,141 Times in 929 Posts

Concerts - festivals

Please share some of your concert/festival memories, or maybe some upcoming musical events that you look forward to 8)

Me, my girlfriend and a couple of friends will head for the Sweden rock festival tomorrow.
    It's a 4 day event, the biggest rock festival in Sweden with well over 35 000 visitors.
    You can read a little about it here (english)
    http://www.swedenrock.com/index.cfm?lg=2&pg=1&pr=0

Unfortunately it's the weakest line-up in years but it's more than just the bands, it's a great atmosphere and party 24 hours a day.
    A lot of "has-beens" and few "new and popular" acts but still a lot of fun. "Gubbrock" as we call it in Sweden, which could translate to "old fart rockers" ;D

These are the bands that I look forward to see this year

Thursday : HEAT, Volbeat, ZZ Top (good for beer drinking 8) )
    Friday : Lita Ford (not so hot these days I'm afraid but what the hell) , Kamelot, Motörhead, In Flames (great headliner, swedish death/melodic metal)
    Saturday : Journey, Blackfoot, Electric Boys, Soilwork, Europe, Dream Theater and Heaven & Hell

Heaven & Hell (Black Sabbath, Dio era) will be a blast to see again, saw them 2 years ago and it was magic. Dio can sing like no other, despite his age.

I did the tent thing 2 years ago but I'm too fuckin' old for that, hotel is the shit. Will be nice to sleep in a proper bed and take a dump in a real toilet ;D
    Will try to give you some sort of review next week or so when I get back.
    Cheers!

Thanks

Re: Concerts - festivals

Twisted Sister are still going ?? lol, damn they must look old now lol

Apart from that looks like 4 days of great fun to had

enjoy

Banned
    Thanks

Would love to see ZZ Top!! 8) 8) 8)

Retired Staff Member
    Thanks

Hope you had a great time!

The only band on that list I've seen live is In Flames - also at a rock festival, in August 2005. The other bands there were Disturbed, Mudvayne, Shadows Fall, ill nino, Trivium, and 10 Years. Good times. \m/

Oh yeah - in between Shadows Fall and Mudvayne, some strippers started dancing and flashing for the crowd in a VIP area to the left of the stage. This started a little flashing competition between the strippers and some of the women in the crowd. I even saw some ladies making out with one another! Talk about some nice eye candy. ;D
    "I'm on the top as long as the music's loud."

VIP
    Thanks

As a side job i steward at a lot of the big festivals in the UK so I have a lot of stories to tell, but my all time favorite has to be the first ever proper festival I went to, Reading, back in the mid nineties. Not only did we have enough supplies to medicate half the camp site and literally wash in alcohol (we didn't) but that was also the first time I randomly just bumped into and made friends with a very cute girl who genuinely fancied me. All of which might explain why it was the first time I ever slept outside, just on the grass because I couldn't be bothered to crawl to my tent (besides a certain lap was just way too comfortable), managed to sleep through a Descendent's set when I was right in front of the engineers desk/tent, and call Marilyn Manson a wannabe poser because I didn't realize he was standing behind me when I was shooting my mouth off. I managed to fit in a Bush live set and a acoustic set as the sun rose, A Seahorses set, a truly amazing Eels gig (second best gig I've been to in my life) and Metallica rocked, despite the fact I don't actually like them. And i turned all my friends onto the Spawn soundtrack which was one of the first albums to feature metal, dance and hip hop all mixed together (A trend that shaped my friends taste in music for the next five years). My only regret was that I straightened up on a flight out to spend six months in Japan and realized I never got the girls address, something I'll always regret, but then again maybe what happened in Reading was always destined to stay in Reading. It was a truly magical four days though, all shrouded in just the right amount of haze.

Second best festival for me though is NAS, the UK's main extreme sports gathering. I just love trying to brake my neck on ATB's and its about the only time i get to use one on professional ramps and stuff. The huge range of music and watching all the pro's do insane things on planks of wood helps too.

If your a people person though and you get a chance, work a festival, either as a steward or security (there's little difference.) It's all the fun of the fair with a little bit of authority and even if you get stuck on the back gates in the rain you still end up flirting with female (or male, if that's your thing) TV presenters and band members and just being handed subtle drinks and stuff. AND YOU GET PAID FOR IT!!! Seriously, I'd do it for free, but don't tell my crew organizer that. I worked a very wet WOMAD once, something some of you might think is a bit dull for my tastes, but despite the fact I didn't manage to get dry from the evening I arrived till the morning I left I still laughed the whole time. Oh and did I say you only work around six hours a day but that access all area's, staff wristband and ID stays on the whole time meaning you can attend all the best parties and even get to watch sets from the side of the stage if you prove your good at staying out the way and are willing to lend a hand even if your not on shift.
    &quot;In the trail of fire I know we will be free again, in the end we will be one.<br />In the trail of fire I&#39;ll burn before you bury me, set your sights for the sun.&quot;

Thanks
    Thanked 1,141 Times in 929 Posts

Well, it's that time of the year again ;D

Will leave first thing tomorrow and head south to the Sweden Rock Festival yet another time.
    The line up isn't any better this year unfortunately but what the hell, it will be fun for shure.

See you next week 8)

Banned
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Sludge
    Well, it's that time of the year again ;D

Will leave first thing tomorrow and head south to the Sweden Rock Festival yet another time.
    The line up isn't any better this year unfortunately but what the hell, it will be fun for shure.

See you next week 8)

Sludge........wow, what a list of bands! ;) Hey, is Steven Tyler back????? And, I grew up with Mothers Finest here in Atlanta when they used to be a little club band......they are old, but hopefully still Funky!! ;) ;)

Thread Information